Welcome to the Grassy Gnoll, a blog focused on pen and paper roleplaying games of all kinds.
For any readers who may not know me personally, my name is Keegan (at times also known as Tink, Tinkergoth and the Hef depending on who you’re talking to). I’ve been playing various roleplaying games since I was given my first copy of the Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition Players Handbook on my 12th birthday. Since then I’ve played with a number of different systems, both as a player and as a Game Master (or Story Teller, Guide, Dungeon Master, whatever you want to call it). The following are just a selection of the different systems I’ve used:
- Pathfinder – My main game. I’m currently running a weekly pirate themed game, and will be starting another soon
- Dungeons & Dragons – 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition and the 3.5 revision, as well as a brief foray into 4th Edition
- Shadowrun – 3rd and 4th Editions
- World of Darkness – I’ve played both Old and New World, and have messed around with most of the sub-games.
- Kult – I highly recommend this if people can find the rules for it. Unfortunately out of print at the moment.
- GURPS – The system for those who can’t decide if they want fantasy, sci-fi, superheroes, or even kung-fu rabbits
- Call of Cthulhu – both the original and the d20 versions
Since I use so many different systems, I plan on providing content that is mostly system neutral, with the occasional update related to one or two specific games. Content will include, but not be limited to:
- Articles on building a campaign setting
- Advice and stories about running gaming groups, how to choose a system, and what kind of game to run
- Opinions and reviews of various systems, source books and accessories
- Fiction written both by myself and players in my groups
- The occasional review or opinion on books, movies, television and comics that are somehow related to gaming
I also welcome any questions and suggestions for topics, so please, if there’s something you’d like to ask about, leave me a comment and I’ll see what I can do. I hope to have the first post or two up within the next few days, hopefully you’ll enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy writing them.
5 thoughts on “Welcome to the Grassy Gnoll”
Well written Keegan.
I look forward to reading your entries.
I look forward to reading your posts. Being a player and a new GM trying to build his whole campaign world, I look for all the help I can get,
Glad to help, I hope you find my ideas useful. If there are ever any specific topics you’d like me to cover, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.
Just a question, like 8 or more years after this post. Didn’t this page originally host a log on the massive “Night Below” campaign (AD&D module). There used to be a website “Grassy Gnolls Into the Night Below” between 2000 and 2009. Can’t find it for the life of me and since I am now mastering the campaign, I’d love to re-read this log somewhere 🙂
Sorry, I’m afraid that one wasn’t me. I’m kind of curious about it too now, if I find it I’ll let you know